UPDATE: If you’re having trouble downloading the mitten template, please open this page different internet browser (like Safari or Internet Explorer). Adobe’s Firefox plug-in is buggy so the PDF unfortunately isn’t viewable in Firefox. If you care about the geeky details, read more about the plug in issue here.

Yesterday I told you all about my friend McCall’s snaptastic 365 photo project on her site, Lucky Malone Photography. I love it because every single day she delivers some new little inspiring tid bit of beauty. I’m amazed by the endless creativity she brings to the project.

McCall’s mad skillz don’t stop with photography though, she’s also one of the craftiest chics I know. (Check out the post about here rad holiday decorations here.) Today she’s going to show us how to make pretty much the coolest mittens EVER from old wool sweaters.

Take it away, Caller!

Hello M&DG fans! I am flattered to be guest-blogging on this fabulous site (Jess- thanks for letting me “drop by”!) This mitten project was inspired during a closet clean out session I was having one afternoon and, as I usually do while being productive, I found a distraction – “Hey check out this old 100% wool sweater I found down here that I have not worn in like 3 years! Let’s shrink it!” The red snowflake pattern screamed mittens to me, so away I went, leaving my closet spilling out all over the place. These mittens are a breeze to whip up and if you have a stash of old sweaters, they’re also basically free! Happy Mitting!

Ingredients:
-a 100% wool sweater
-a t-shirt (or similar soft fabric for lining)
-this felted sweater mittens template (see update above for download help)
-sewing machine (or your ambitious hands!)
-pins
-1-2 yards of wool yarn and a large darning needle

1. Clean out your closet and find one or more old wool sweaters and an old T-shirt (or something soft to use as lining).

2. Felt old wool sweater(s) by putting each in a separate pillowcase and washing them in the washing machine on HOT. (Yes, exactly what you’re usually trying not to do.) Felting isn’t an exact science, so check them frequently. Get more details about how to felt sweaters here.

3. Cut 4.5 inches off both sweater sleeves for the cuffs. Set these aside for later.
Note: Your felted sleeves need to be about the same width as the mitten template, if your sleeves shrunk too much, you can use the bottom hem of the sweater by cutting a rectangle about 4.5 inches x 10 inches and sewing the short ends together to make a tube with a 10 inch circumference and 4.5 inch height. 4. Print out the felted sweater mitten pattern and cut it on the outermost line. (Later you’ll trim to the inside line and use the resulting pattern for the inside of the mitts.)

5. Pin template pieces to felted sweater(s) and cut out each piece, cutting 2 of the mitten backs. 6. Starting with the two palm pieces for either the right or left mitten, line up the thumbs with the right sides together (wrong sides on the outside). Starting on straight edge, pin around the edge of the thumb and down the side. 7. In order to mark how far down the side to pin, it is helpful to match up the palm pieces with the top piece. Line up the base and the top curve of the mitten and pinch the outside edge of thumb together until all excess the height of the palm piece matches the height of the mitten back. 8. Sew from marked point, around the thumb to the other edge of mitten, with 1/4 inch seam allowance. 9. Match up palm piece with mitten back, right sides together. 10. Line up and pin the edges. (It can be helpful to pin the thumbs out of the way, too!) Sew the edges with 1/4 inch seam allowance. 11. Repeat steps 6-10 for the opposite hand mitten. Turn mittens right-side out 11. Trim off the outer 1/2 inch of the paper templates you used for the outside, leaving just the lining portion. 12. Cut each template piece out of the lining fabric. 13. Follow steps 6-10 with the lining fabric. 14. Put the lining on your hand (still right-side in) and slide the outside of the mitten over the lining. Wiggle your thumb and fingers to adjust the lining and tack into place. 15. Trim the mitten liner so it’s the same length as the outer mitten. 16. Take the 4.5 inch long tube from the sleeve and turn it inside out. Slide the raw end (the end that you cut) about an inch into the mitten, inside both the lining and the sweater layer. 17. With a piece of yarn and darning needle, starting at one of the side seams, sew through all three layers, leaving a tail of yarn where you started. Sew around the mitten base two times, securely fastening the cuff to the inside of the mitten. 18. On the third time around, when you get to the inside of the wrist, flip the cuff up and around the outside of the mitten. Sew through all four layers in order to tack the cuff into place.

19. Continue to sew, only the inside three layers (not going all of the way through the outside cuff layer) until you get to the back of the wrist. Sew all of the way through all four layers, tacking the cuff in place and add a button or two if desired. 20. Continue to sew only the inside three layers around back to the seam where you left a tail of yarn. Tie off the yarn and trim short. Tuck tails into the cuff. 21. Sip hot chocolate and enjoy the winter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share →

84 Responses to GUEST TUTORIAL: Felted Sweater Mittens

1. Lauren says:

Love it! I could see making oven mitts this way, too.

2. [...] i lost a mitten. this is how it looked when i went back to find [...]

3. [...] kazaklarınızı eldivene dönüştürüp ellere taşımak isterseniz nasıl yapıldığına buradan ulaşabilirsiniz. Reklam : Etiketler: craft dıy projects el işi el yapımı eldiven eldiven [...]

4. Tamara says:

I made a pair of these for my 5-yr-old last night and they turned out fabulous! I just printed the pattern at 60%. The only adjustment was that the thumbs were too long, so I had to shorten them; and I also extended the wrists rather than making the cuff, so that she could keep her wrists warm between hands and coat sleeves. These were more work than I expected (you made it look so easy!), and my sewing machine did not like the thick fabric, but in the end, I sure have a beautiful pair of gloves now! Thank you so much for the amazing tutorial!

5. Vicki Sheskey says:

I love these mittens. I have a pair I bought at a craft show. I would like to share with my quilt guild and have a class. Always looking for something new. Thanks so much!! Vicki

Hey Vicki,
      I originally got a pair as a gift and I love them! It’s especially fun to know you made them yourself though. They’re a great fun project that whips up pretty quickly. Stay warm!

6. Kathy Rosenow says:

I have tried printing your guest tutorial and the pattern for the felted wool mittens without success. Is it not possible to print them anymore? Thank you.

• Make and Do Girl says:

Hey Kathy, I’m so sorry you’re having trouble downloading the patten. Seems like it’s finicky with my Firefox, but it works in Safari. Maybe give it a try in another browser? I’ll also email it to you just in case. Good luck!

7. Barb Mutter says:

Great instructions, can’t wait to try them. Could I also get a copy of the instructions emailed. Thanks so much.

8. Diane Lindstrom says:

My girls are excited to sew these cute mittens! We are looking for ways to make this Christmas really special for our family and we are seeking ways to keep the true meaning of Christmas real and alive for others. These mittens will be great to make and give away!

9. Anne Foley says:

I am interested in getting the pattern for the mittens. I had a copy and they destoryed in a flood.

10. Carrie says:

I love this tutorial!! I’ve tried three others and this is the easiest! It is also more accurate! Thanks for a great pattern! lOTS more to make Christmas is only two weeks away! : )

11. Mollie123 says:

:Hi, I love the patteren for the mittens. Made some and they turned out beautifull..
    I wonder how these will wash, being they have wool in them..Will they shrink
    anymore ?
    Thanks,

Hey Mollie,
      Glad you’re happy with your mitts! I’d love to see a picture.
      Hot water is what made the sweater shrink in the first place, so to be sure to avoid more skrinkage, just use cool water and wash them on delicate or by hand.

12. Brianne says:

Hi! I was hoping to make these as a last minute Christmas gift. But, had a question…when printing the pattern…do I print it as it comes up or do I shrink the percent? I guess it just seems kind of big, but I don’t know.

Thank you so much and happy holidays!

Brianne,
      Print it at 100% (as is) and you should be good to go. It does look pretty big, but once all the layers are sewn together the mittens will be less gigantic.
      Good luck!

13. Mollie123 says:

I made these last night and they turned out beautiful.
    I was wondering if you would wash these again if they will shrink anymore..
    Your’re pattern is great.
    Thanks again,

Mollie,
      Awesome! So glad they turned out well for you. I’d love to see a picture! I think it’s completely safe to wash them as long as you don’t use super hot water. The hot water is what made the sweater shrink in the first place, so to be sure to avoid more skrinkage, just use cool water and wash them on delicate or by hand.
      Stay warm!

14. Diana Silva says:

Beautiful, yummy looking sample pair on the instructional! I wish those were mine! Thank you for sharing. I will try to look up the pattern. I should probably know a lot more about how to maneuver around a computer. Seems I can’t even use the excuse that I am a gramma anymore…what with all the commercials about people older than myself jumping outta planes and beginning new careers and stuff!!! Ugh…

• Make and Do Girl says:

Ha! I’m not sure I’ll ever be one of those people jumping out of planes. Let me know if you have technical difficulties because I’d be happy to email you the pattern if you can’t download it.

15. raejean hansen says:

Could I please get a copy of the instructions emailed too? Thank you!

16. Renee Pray says:

I have all the stuff cut out pinned and ready to go, BUT when I try to sew on my machine it keeps getting snagged up and won’t stitch. Do you need a certain thread or specific needle on the machine? I tried adjusting the tension as well, 6 times of unhooking the bound up thread on my machine and I decided to send you an email. Any suggestions, I’m not ready to give up yet. I even thought of hand stitching them, but a machine would hold better (I think).
    Thanks
    Renee

• Make and Do Girl says:

Argh! I hate adjusting thread tension! I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble getting the sweater mittens sewn. Unfortunately, I’m not sure exactly what would help. We didn’t use a specific needle or thread, although depending on what needle is currently in your machine, you may want to adjust to something a little more heavy duty since the mitten sandwich is pretty thick. One other thought–if your machine has the ability to put the feed dogs down (they’re the little grippy parts that feed the fabric through and they’re right below the presser foot), you might try that. It would mean that you’d have to feed the fabric through yourself, but it might help keep everything from getting bunched. If none of this works, I think a hand sewn pair of mittens would be extra special. Best of luck!

j

17. I cannot find the actual pattern to download. It could be my computer. Can you email me a copy? Thank you so much. Love your site.

Mary,
      Try opening this page different internet browser (like Safari or Internet Explorer). Adobe’s Firefox plug-in is buggy so the PDF unfortunately isn’t viewable in Firefox. I’ll also email you the pattern.
      Happy crafting!
      j

18. I cannot find the pattern to download it. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Mary Sue,
      Happy crafting!

19. Kay campbell says:

just printed out the paper pattern and all ready to cut material. Im making a fleece pair, bought a couple fleece vests that I think will work great,,, however i did notice that the palm top and bottom dont fit evenly, the palm top got an angled line from the side to the thumb and the other piece is more straight,,, are they suppose to lie together straight when you are placing th e pieces to sew or do you have to angle and sew and fit them as you sew,,,

20. cate says:

Love the pattern & your eye for design. Please email the pattern. Thank you. Renee Pray, when I have that problem, it usually indicates ‘time for new needle’. Try that.
    cate

21. sherlynn doyle says:

i have been looking for the mitten pattern seen my sister had a pair in 1999 and we have never found it would you be willing to send the pattern to me thank you

22. Anne says:

Best tutorial on the web for making felted mittens.
    Been making these since receiving a free pattern from Hancock Fabrics years ago called “Twice as Warm Mittens and using polar fleece.
    Wasn’t until a year ago my brother wanted me to rescue and recycle a favorite wool sweater. The idea of felting and using my original pattern came up.
    Your alternative to the polar fleece lining by using a lighter knit is a great idea. Although the fleece is warm, it’s a little too bulky, since the original pattern used it for the outside mitten and lining.
    Just thought I share the alternative polar fleece version because wool sweaters may not be as readily available as fleece.
    The original pattern came with a children’s size and remain my grandchildren’s favorites, especially when playing outdoors in the cold Wisconsin winter. Their hands are always warm and dry.
    You are to be commended and your tutorial and is a fine example of how to write one.

• Make and Do Girl says:

Thanks Anne! Although I have to give full credit to my awesome pal, McCall, for writing this fine tutorial. Sounds like you were a trendsetter in the fuzzy mitten department. I bet they were perfect for WI winters.

23. janice bibler says:

please email me pattern for these mittens bought a pair and just love them.

24. Patricia says:

Can you please email me the pattern pieces for the mittens? Thank you in advance : )

25. I have tried without success to download the pattern. Could you please email it to me with the instructions? I would be so grateful. Thank You, Nancy T. Melotte

26. Marilynn says:

Please e-mail me the pattern for these mittens. I just love them.

27. C.O. says:

Hi, love the mittens…..can i get a copy of the pattern too
    Thanks a bunch
    C.O.

28. Cathy says:

I’m excited to make your mittens : ). I’ve already felted the sweater. Please e-mail the pattern. Is there a seperate pattern for my grandchildren in Wi.? Thanks so much !!!!!

Hey Cathy,
      Great! Were you unable to download it from the post? As long as you use a browser other than Firefox, you should be good to go. I’ll email it to you also.
      Have fun.

29. Jen Hoover says:

hi there,
    I use IE and I’m getting an error 404 code :( would there be any other way you could share this pattern… I have used 2 other patterns and both felt awkward – so I designed my own to fit my hand, but I have a rather small hand. I’d like to try what you have come up with! :)
    thanks!!
    Jen

30. sandie says:

pls send me your copy of sweater mittens patterns in my email cuz i cant get it thur this website…having problem with error 404 code? im an old school and understand little about techs. thanks!

31. Linda Little says:

If I use fleece for the outside then how do I do the cuff with no ribbing? PLEASE HELP

32. Brenda says:

TEMPLATE LINK IS INCORRECT — My husband is a software engineer and I had him look at your problem with your template availability today. I love your idea, but without the template, it’s of no use to me. Here’s what he discovered:

There is nothing wrong with Adobe Acrobat Reader……. there is simply a ‘typo’ in the link you use to provide your readers. The correct link is as follows if you will please change it — In the original link the ‘makeanddogirl.com’ is in there twice instead of once as it should be. Thanks for the blog and uploads!

• Make and Do Girl says:

Thanks Brenda! Good catch! There was one mislinked in there. I checked and all the other links to it within the post are correct, so if it’s still un-downloadable, it’s unfortunately still due to the Firefox issue. Please let me know if you can’t get it though and I’ll happily email it to you.

Thanks again.
      j

33. [...] me introduce you to this wonderful free tutorial for recycled mittens, made of former jumpers. After a disagreement with the printer, I finally had [...]

34. Robin Dilg says:

Love your design. Would you please email me the pattern. Thank you.

35. Kim says:

I am so excited to make these with all my extra felted wool that I have! I’m actually buying a new machine because mine is so old, just to make them. The question that I have is what size does this make? I’m just wondering. Thanks and I’m really glad I found this download. I bought a couple pairs just like this yesterday at an apple farm and didn’t want to have to take them apart for a pattern!

Hey Kim,

I’d say the size is a medium to large. It’d probably fit most women’s hands and smaller men’s hands. If you need it bigger or smaller though, you could simply adjust the percentage you print it out.

Hope you enjoy.

36. Melissa says:

Could you please email me the pattern?

37. Julia says:

My friend at work – here in Norway – wore these to work last winter. I was all over them! I have been on her case ever since to get me the pattern from her friend in the US, who made them. And today I got the link. I’m so excited (feels like Christmas) and CAN’T WAIT to make a pair this weekend.
    I love these mittens and plan to make them for the whole family. Winter is already on its way here – we’ll have snow before you know it! Thanks so much, these are truly amazing!

Julia,

When I think Norway, I think sweater mittens for sure! I hope you enjoy the pattern and it keeps your fingers toasty all winter.

• Julia says:

Hi again!
        I have made about 20 pairs and am obsessed! Best thing that every happened my way. Perfect to keep me happy during the long dark winters!!! THANK YOU so much – your tutorial is wonderful and am making the most wonderful mittens ever. My sister in NY is now a happy mitten owner too :-) .

38. Rhea says:

I would be so grateful if you wold email me the pattern. Have tried to print from directions but my computer won’t let me.

Thank you so much fro these amazing directions. Looking forward to making these for my Grandsons.

39. Kris says:

Thank you so much for the amazing directions. Looking forward to making these for my grandkids. I am having issues trying to print the directions. Would you please e-mail me the directions?

Thanks….
    Tis the Season for mitten making :)

40. Ruth Ferrall says:

Hi
    on the site you have 2 different mittens but not the complete of either one the one I made one to look like yours turned out great but can you send me both of the mitten patterns. Both slanted top and bottom palms and the swooped one of the palms. Thank you for posting for use!!!!

Hi Ruth,

I’ve checked the pattern and I can’t figure out exactly what you’re missing. The pattern you downloaded should have 6 total pages and you need to cut 3 total pieces for each mitten (plus the cuffs).

Please let me know if this doesn’t make sense.

• Ruth Ferrall says:

I am still not understanding in your pictures you have on your site you have a mitten that is scooped down so that would be for a left and a right pattern top and bottom. The angled palm one top and bottom that would be a total of 8 and than one for the back of the mitten. So that would 9. Missing is the bottom angled and top scooped. I can just flip it over for the left and right hand I hope you understand this? thank you

41. Donna Dooley says:

Please email me the templates. I am so excited about making them. The possibilities are endless. Thank you!

42. Mary F Nelson says:

Please send template directions. Thank you kindly!! Can’t wait to try it!!! Mary

(For felted sweater mittens )

43. Jackie says:

Fantastic tutorial I can’t get to the pattern to print. Would you please email me the pattern. I would really appreciate it. Jackie

44. Catherine McLoughlin says:

I was at a craft show and a lady sold at least 50 pairs each at $25.00.
    I can’t wait to start looking for old sweaters…..

45. Kanta Kahn says:

Could you please send the updated pattern? Can’t wait to make these!
    If you want to make combos of felt pieces on the backs of the mittens, do you have suggestions on how not to have bulky seams? I was considering serging–
    Thanks!

• Make and Do Girl says:

The pattern in the above links is the updated one, so feel free to download an enjoy! That’s a good question about the seams. I think serging is probably a great idea if that option is available to you. Otherwise layering one piece on top of the other and sewing them by hand embroidery-style might work. You could also intentionally have that seem facing out and whip stitch it. Might look cute?

Good luck!

46. evie says:

finally a pattern understandable with great directions thank you awesome